Thursday 31 January 2013

JomBalikUndi

Kevin Bathman: JomBalikUndi!

"I don't very often write about my home country. On those rare occasions when I do, it is usually to ridicule the current BN-led government and their dirty tactics to control its people.

For the longest time, I've never seen my own fellow countrymen as social activists but surprisingly, the tides have changed in the past 3-4 years. The sentiment is of anger and frustration and they're taking it to the streets and social media.

When I was asked by a Malaysian friend in Sydney to get involved and to use the skills I had to advocate for change in Malaysia, I decided I needed to do just that.

This campaign 'Come Home To Home' (JomBalikUndi) is all about getting fellow Malaysians to to fly back to vote in the crucial General Elections next month. Most of the Malaysian diaspora are spread all around the world,and we're hoping that campaign will provide some hope and invigorate others.

The Facebook page that I'm administering is filled with messages of hope, frustration and determination. It is a very rare occassion that I feel a sense of camaraderie but it is inspiring when I see people getting involved for something beyond themselves. Results are trickling in, with some media starting to pick up the story.

Perhaps, very soon, a new Malaysia may emerge from years of corruption and social injustice.

Power to the people I say.

http://asiancorrespondent.com/96520/air-land-or-sea-malaysian-expats-plan-election-exodus/

www.facebook.com/JomBalikUndiMalaysia  "

No comments:

Post a Comment